Loading... Please wait...


Do you accept custom orders?

Yes, I accept custom orders. I have a large collection of interesting and beautiful gemstones, and I often work with customers to create a unique design for them. I also work with customers' gems, so if you have a special stone tucked away, give me a call! And if you have a piece of jewelry with a gem you love, but a design you don't, we can take the gemstone and recycle it into a new piece of jewelry you will treasure.

How can I get my ring size?

You can download my Ring Sizing information and chart.

What kind of metals do you use?

I work primarily with precious metals:

  • Sterling silver, which is 92.5% pure silver alloyed with 7.5% copper (indicated by a ".925" or "sterling" hallmark)
  • Argentium silver, which is a highly tarnish-resistant form of sterling silver. It is 92.5% pure silver, but the remaining 7.5% of the alloy contains germanium and copper (instead of just copper). The germanium makes the metal harder to work with (in my experience), which is why I do not use it in all my work, but it does significantly slow down the appearance of tarnish. My argentium pieces have an "AS .925" hallmark.
  • Gold, usually 14kt or 18kt

What is the difference between "gold," "gold-fill," and "gold-plate"?

The following information is based on the definitions set by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

  • When used by itself, the word "gold" means all gold or 24 karat (24kt) gold. Because 24kt gold is soft, it is usually alloyed with other metals to increase its hardness and durability. The karat quality marking tells you what proportion of gold is mixed with the other metals. Fourteen karat (14kt) jewelry contains 14 parts of gold, mixed in throughout with 10 parts of other metal. The higher the karat rating, the higher the proportion of gold in the piece of jewelry.
  • "Gold-filled," "gold overlay" and "rolled gold" plate describe jewelry that has a layer of at least 10 karat gold mechanically bonded to a base metal (such as brass).
  • "Gold plate" (or electroplate) describes jewelry that has a layer (at least .175 microns thick) of a minimum of 10 karat gold deposited on a base metal by an electrolytic process.

Is your work really hand-made in America?

Yes. Each piece of jewelry you see is designed and created by Lorraine Hornby, the owner of Studio 44 Jewelry, in her Laguna Beach, California studio. Some components, such as earring posts & backs, lobster clasps (known as "findings" in jewelry terminology) or chains, are commercially made.

What are your shipping costs?

You can view an estimate of shipping costs by viewing your cart. I do not add any handling fees to the shipping costs, the amount is simply what I am charged by the carrier.


Connect with us